History of the Beckenham Constituency
On this page you will find a brief history of the constituency and information on constituency boundary changes that came into effect at the the General Election held on May 6th 2010.
The Beckenham Conservative Association was formed in 1948 when it was decided that the population of Beckenham merited a separate parliamentary constituency. The new constituency elected its first MP in the General Election in February 1950. From time to time the Boundary Commission has altered the boundaries of the Beckenham Constituency.
At the General Election in 2010, the Beckenham constituency boundaries changed. The constituency still includes Coney Hall, Copers Cope, Kelsey and Eden Park, Shortlands and West Wickham as before. However Bromley Common and Keston and Hayes 'moved' into the Beckenham constituency from the Bromley and Chislehurst constituency. Two roads in Bromley Common and Keston Ward, namely Holwood Park Avenue and Ninhams Wood, which were in the Orpington constituency, also joined Beckenham in 2010.
Clockhouse, Crystal Palace, Penge and Cator wards now form part of Lewisham West and Penge constituency, together with four wards in Lewisham Borough. Information on Lewisham West and Penge Conservative Association can be found on the website: Lewisham Conservatives